My husband loves bread pudding so I made one on Sunday. It was four days after Christmas but I am in full "eat like it's a holiday" mode until January 6th. I just can't stop.
Anyways...enough of my bad eating habits....bread pudding is such a simple dessert. Anyone can make it. I made a small-ish recipe but it can easily be double or tripled. The amounts below should be enough for at least six people.
caramelized pear bread pudding (serves about six)
-two thirds a loaf of challah bread
-1 cup milk
-2 teaspoons vanilla extract
-5 small-medium pears - diced
-3 tablespoons butter plus a little extra for greasing the baking dish.
-3 tablespoons honey
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
2. Use a little butter to grease a square baking dish (a 9"x9" size is good) and set aside.
3. In a skillet, melt the three tablespoons butter. Slowly cook the pear pieces in the butter until nicely browned. Stir in the honey and remove the pan from the heat.
4. Whisk together the eggs, milk, and vanilla extract.
5. Layer a few slices of bread in the bottom of the baking dish, top with half the pears, then more bread. Pour the milk and egg mixture over the bread and bake for 25 minutes. After 25 minutes, pour what remains of the pears, butter, and honey over the top of the bread pudding and bake for another 15 minutes. You will know it is done when it is golden brown and has puffed up. Serve as is or with ice cream or whipped cream. Or...both :).