Low Fat Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars


I have a weakness for baked goods.  In another life, one where I don't care about my weight or eating too many carbs, I would bake every day.  You might say - "you can bake and not eat what you make."  But that doesn't work in my life.  I bake because I love the baking part and because I love the eating part.  The eating part is pretty much te best thing ever.

When I do bake, I try to be a little bit healthy {expect around the holidays, the holidays don't count} by eliminating some fat and/or sugar.  Last week I whipped up some low-ish fat chocolate chip cookie bars to take on our trip to Julian.

I loosely followed this recipe, but I cut down on the sugar and chocolate chips and I baked the batter in a square dish in order to make cookie bars rather than cookie cookies.

Low Fat Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars {makes about 12}
-1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
-1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
-3/4 teaspoon salt
-1/2 cup packed brown sugar
-1/4 cup butter softened 
-1 tablespoon vanilla extract
-1 large egg
-1/2 cup all natural {no sugar added} applesauce
-1/3 cup dark chocolate chips

1. Put the applesauce in a fine sieve and allow the water to drain out.  Let it sit for about 10 minutes and a good portion of the water will have drained.
2. In a mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt.  Set aside.
3. Put the softened butter {let the butter sit at room temperature until soft or microwave for 10-20 seconds....just until soft, not melted} and sugar in the bowl and mix with an electric mixer until well blended.  One blended add the egg, vanilla extract, and drained applesauce.  Mix for another minute.
4. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix until just combined.
5. Stir in the chocolate chips by hand.
6. Line a square baking dish with parchment paper {or spray well with non-stick spray} and pour the batter into the pan.  Spread the batter out with a spatula until evenly distributed throughout the pan.
7. Bake at 375 degrees for about 30 mintes.



Enjoy!




1 comments:

  1. Aww man those look good, I think I'll have to try these. I have a serious cookie weakness.
    Kendrrat
    Kendrrat.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

thank you so much for your comment! i read and enjoy each and every one :).

« »

Acute Designs All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger

 
Pin It button on image hover