Low Carb Pizza Crust



I have seen low-carb pizza crust recipes on a lot of blogs and I was always a bit skeptical.  I mean, one of the points of pizza is carbs, right?  In my attempts to eat healthier {more fruits and veggies, less carbs, meat, etc}  I decided to give this recipe a try.


I grabbed inspiration from a few different recipes and came up with my own.  


Despite my skepticism, I was pleasantly surprised!  The crust was thin, crispy, an had a nice flavor from the flax meal.  Also, after eating a huge portion, I didn't feel bloated and stuffed.  Which was nice.  I love to over-eat pizza but I don't love the stuffed feeling afterwards.


I cooked my crust in a pie dish because I wasn't sure how it would hold up on a flat baking pan.  I think it would turn out fine if you baked it on a baking pan/cookie sheet that is covered in parchment paper and sprayed with a little non-stick cooking spray.


Low Carb Pizza Crust {makes a pizza that is enough for 2-3 people}
-2/3 cup ground flax meal
-1/2 teaspoon baking soda
-1/3 cup parmesan cheese
-1 egg
-1 tablespoon olive oil
-1 tablespoon honey
-salt and pepper


1. Use a wooden spoon and mix together everything.  Use clean hands to form the mixture into a ball and press into a pie dish {that has been well sprayed with non-stick cooking spray}.  Or, line a baking sheet with parchment paper, spray it with non-stick spray and press the dough out into a large circle.




2. Bake at 350 degrees for about 20 minutes.  
3. Remove crust from the oven and top with your favorite ingredients - I used lots of thin onion slices, fresh arugula, leftover roasted beets, tomatoes, fresh mozzarella, goat cheese, and dried oregano.





4. Put the pizza back in the oven, increase the heat to 400 degrees and bake for another 15-20 minutes...or until cheese is cooked and bubbling.


Enjoy!


1 comments:

  1. Yum! This looks so tasty :) We like to make pizza with cauliflower crust, but I will try this too! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

thank you so much for your comment! i read and enjoy each and every one :).

« »

Acute Designs All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger

 
Pin It button on image hover