Grownup Spaghettios

When I was about ten years old, I made my mom a soup cookbook for Christmas.  For months prior to the holiday, I scoured magazines and the "living" section of our newspaper, clipping out any soup recipe I could find.


I compiled all the recipes in a binder and proudly presented it to her on Christmas day.  My mom had mentioned once that she would love an all soup recipe cookbook, so I, with my crazy memory, stored that away and delivered with her Christmas gift.  Seriously, I thought it was the best idea ever, that was until she actually started to make some of the soups.


I was the pickiest child alive and obviously had little foresight.  In my attempt to fill the book full of recipes, I wasn't able to edit out all the "uneatable" recipes.


Fast forward 20 years and my tastes have delevoped immensely.  I am still picky, but not the pickiest.  And, I now love many different soups.  As an ode to autumn and cooler temps, I am going to do 12 days of soup recipes the next few weeks.  


Join me?  If you have a great soup recipe on your blog - link to it in the commnets.  I will compile all I find in a post at the end of the twelve days.


First up is my version of grownup spaghettios.  Spaghettios were a staple in my picky childhood diet.  Just about every night I would beg and plead with my parents to just allow me to eat spaghettios rather than suffer through  whatever my mom had made {I bet they loved me back then :)}.


I haven't had a bite of spaghettios in years and I have no desire to eat sugary sweet tomato sauce, slimy "O" shaped noodles, and processed meatballs.  This little soup I whipped up is so much better.  And healthier.  And easy to make.






Day 1: Grownup Spaghettios {makes about 5-6 servings}
-2 cups of low sodium chicken broth
-3 cups of low sodium tomato juice
-1 cup of frozen spinach - thawed
-1 large carrot, peeled and diced
-1 medium onion, diced
-1 red bell pepper, diced
-2 celery stalks, diced
-3 cloves of garlic, minced
-1/2 pound lean ground beef or ground turkey
-1 egg white
-1/4 cup shredded parmesan cheese
-1/4 cup of bread crumbs
-1/2 tablespoon dry oregano
-1 cup {measured dry} macaroni or other short pasta
-salt, pepper, and olive oil


1. Combine the ground beef, egg white, bread crumbs, parmesan cheese, oregano, and a dash of salt and pepper in a large bowl and set aside.
2. In a large soup pot, saute the onion, carrot, red pepper, and celery in a tablespoon of olive oil.  Season with salt and pepper and allow to cook over medium heat for about 8 minutes.  Add the garlic and continue to cook for another minute.
3. Stir in the chicken broth and tomato juice and bring to a low boil.  Stir in the spinach and bring back to a low boil....turn down to a simmer. 
4. Shape the meat mixture into quarter sized meatballs and drop them in the simmering soup.
5. Once all meatballs are in the soup, turn the heat to low and cover.  
6. In a separate pot, cook the pasta.  Once it reaches al dente, drain the water and add the pasta to the soup.  Stir all to combine and season with a little salt and pepper {if you like things spicy, add some hot sauce}.  Serve with warm toasted bread and a little fresh parmesan on top.  


Enjoy!

1 comments:

  1. This sounds delicious. Sadly I am the only person in my house who eats soups. But I made this delicious Beef bourguignon in the spring, it was so good! Here's the link http://www.manouvellemode.com/2011/03/beouf-bourguignon-recipe-delicious.html

    ReplyDelete

thank you so much for your comment! i read and enjoy each and every one :).

« »

Acute Designs All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger

 
Pin It button on image hover