Simple and Quick Pillow Tutorial

If you are keeping up with my pillow project, you will know that I bought several upholstery swatches at the fabric store last weekend and decided to make some of them into pillows. I tried my first one last night and it seriously too me less than 15 minutes. It was so freaking easy.

This is what you do:

1. Take 2 fabric swatches (the particular ones I bought are approximately 14” x 16”) and put them together with the print facing in. You can do two swatches of the same pattern or two of different patterns that complement each other. The one I did was a subtle cream floral pattern and a pale bluish floral pattern.

{This is the blue floral pattern I used - the back side is a cream floral.}

2. Next, take your two pieces and sew all around the outside. Leave about two inches at the final corner open so that you can turn the fabric right side out and stuff it with pillow stuffing.

{The two pieces sewn together - before the stuffing has been put in.}

3. In my opinion, this is the most annoying part – stuff the pillow with stuffing of your choice. There are some super cheap options at the fabric or craft store. The one I used for this pillow (and the eco-friendly dog beds I make) is a sustainable bamboo stuffing. It is on sale about every other week, so it isn’t too bad.

Anyway, stuff your stuffing in through the little exposed hole and make sure it is all evenly distributed and not bunchy in one spot or another. I found this part to be the most annoying part – but it still only took me about 6 minutes.

{The small hole left open for the stuffing.}

4. One you pillow is all evenly stuffed, fold the edge of fabric over and sew it up. Do you best to make it look neat….or don’t, it will pretty much be hidden when you place the pillow on your couch, chair, or bed.

5. Done! Super easy. I was shocked by how little time it took me. I am not sure what I was expecting…I guess the fact that I didn’t make this into a removable slip cover with a zipper or buttons is why it was so easy.

Overall this pillow cost me about $5. I would not be able to find anything decent for $5. Plus, I always like to make things myself. I am sure my dogs will ruin this in about a week, so I need to make more this weekend.


{Finished pillow!}

1 comments:

  1. I love the fabric you chose--very very pretty. I laughed about your dogs messing it up. Either my dogs or my kids (or my husband) seem to mess my stuff up too. ;) Visiting from Hope Studios' Tutorial Tuesday. :)

    ReplyDelete

thank you so much for your comment! i read and enjoy each and every one :).

« »

Acute Designs All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger

 
Pin It button on image hover