Do you want to quit your day job?

At the beginning of 2010, I set a goal for myself.  This goal was to quit my loathsome day job.  Right now, the year is nearly half over and I am still not ready to take the plunge.  I keep saying that I need to get my business "there."  But where is "there?"  What I really need is to get my courage and my mind "there."  That "there" I can pinpoint far easier than the business "there."  Am I confusing you?  Let me explain....

I often read "quit your day job" articles in the blog and Etsy world and I am always motivated for a few days after I read one, then my fears take over.  Today, I read a post called "How to Stop Screwing Around and Really Quit Your Day Job."  This article really inspired me and offered a few good tips:

1. Create an "FU fund" and have a few months of cash saved up just in case.  Personally, I have some money in my "FU fund", but not enough.  I am going to concentrate on growing it a bit before I, well, say "f**k you."

2. Calculate a "squeak by" budget.  Meaning, how much do I really need to just survive?  Once I have this calculated, I am going to put the rest of my cash into my "FU fund" and voile! I can quit...right?

Here's the deal - I am scared. I am scared of not having enough money for the extra things in life.  Luckily, my husband has a good job and he can pay the bills (and supplies us with that ever important minor detail called health insurance). My consistent and easy to obtain paycheck enables us to do a lot more with our lives (travel, buy clothes and other wants, eat good food, etc).

I am told time and time again that I am "Cray-zay! Especially in this economy!" to quit a well paying and stable job.  I am crazy at times, but I am also practical.  I do not want to end up in major debt or groveling at the temp agency for another crappy job that makes me not want to get out of bed in the morning. 

That is my fear.  Having to go back to work in a year if this doesn't work out.  Having to admit that I failed and that my life really will be an endless string of Jill Jobs.

What I need to do is push my fears aside and take the plunge.  There has to be more to life than wishing for Friday.  There really has to be.  I am going to find it. I might be poor for a while, but at least I won't be wishing my life away.

I have three mini trips/long weekends planned this summer which will eat up extra money.  After that, I am done. You heard it here first. I am done by the end of the summer (just writing that makes my heart race).  Now, I just need to convince my husband to that this is a good idea...

What about you? Do you dream of quitting your day job, or have you already done so?  What tips do you have to inspire those like me?.

1 comments:

  1. I am dreaming about this journey! I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one! Great article about "How to stop Screwing Around..."! Thanks for the insight and good luck!

    ReplyDelete

thank you so much for your comment! i read and enjoy each and every one :).

« »

Acute Designs All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger

 
Pin It button on image hover