(Kind of) Low Fat Chicken Carbonara Pasta

A few weeks ago, my husband ordered chicken carbonara at a restaurant.  I had a taste and loooved it, but it was one of those things I knew was unhealthy just by looking at it.  Since then, I have been craving the dish so I decided to make my own version, but with a little less fat.

I still used bacon and a little heavy cream and I threw in peas because they're good and all meals should have a little green.

It was good. I think my husband actually gave it two thumbs up. At the table. It was funny, but a little weird.




Low Fat Chicken Carbonara
-1 pound of boneless skinless chicken breast
-1 small onion, diced
-3 cloves garlic, diced
-4 strips of bacon, diced
-1 cup frozen peas
-3 tablespoons fresh chopped flat leaf parsley
-1 tablespoon of all-purpose flour
-1 cup chicken broth
-1/4 cup heavy cream
-freshly grated parmesan cheese
-4 servings of any pasta
-olive oil
-salt and pepper




1. Heat the oven to 350 degrees F. Pour a little olive oil and salt and pepper on the chicken breasts and cook for about 35 minutes.
2. While the chicken is cooking, heat a small amount of olive oil (less than a tablespoon) in a large skillet over high heat.  Cook the bacon pieces for about 5 minutes. Then lower the heat, add the onion and cook for another two minutes.  Finally, add the garlic, and cook for about a minute. 
3. Mix the tablespoon of flour into the pan to create a roux.  Cook for a minute, hen mix in the chicken broth.  cook for a minute so that the sauce thickens, then put the heat on low.
4. At this point you should have water boiling for the pasta.  Cook the pasta according to package's instructions.
5. Remove cooked chicken from the oven, slice into bite sized pieces and mix into the sauce.  Also, mix in chopped parsley and peas.  Continue to cook for a few minutes. (Taste, and season with salt and pepper if necessary.)
6. Once the pasta is finished cooking, remove the sauce from the heat and stir in the cream.  Put the cooked pasta into the pan and toss it in the sauce.
7. Top with freshly grated parmesan cheese and serve.

7 comments:

  1. That looks delicious!! My all time fav food is pasta, which is my specialty when it comes to cooking. I need to start posting recipes like I used to. I love this food blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love carbonara, and I'm all for a little healthier!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cooks magazine had a nice lo fat version of this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good for you for making a healthier version of this tempting dish. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good for you for making a healthier version of this tempting dish. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks delicious!! My all time fav food is pasta, which is my specialty when it comes to cooking. I need to start posting recipes like I used to. I love this food blog.

    ReplyDelete

thank you so much for your comment! i read and enjoy each and every one :).

« »

Acute Designs All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger

 
Pin It button on image hover