How to Unclog Your Kitchen Sink

This is a little off topic for me, but I thought some of you might find this information useful....

For the past few months, our kitchen sink has periodically clogged.  In order to remedy this, I have used a plunger and some liquid Draino.  I am not a big fan of Draino because of how really and truly and horribly bad it is for the environment, but I was desperate. 

A photo of our kitchen.  If our landlord would just install a garbage disposal, we would be fine...apparently, that's asking too much.

When I was in Colorado, my husband did god knows what and was unable to unclog the sink.  He claims that he used the plunger until he pulled a muscle in his back (typical).

Upon my return, Neil had been able to get the water in the sink to go down, but was unable to use the sink.  Since I am the handy one in our household, I did some research online.  This is what I found:

  1. Pour boiling water down the sink in order to break up any food particles (tried that and it worked for a day).
  2. Use a combination of baking powder and vinegar and allow it to sit overnight.  This remedy is environmentally friendly (score!) but if any commercial drain cleaner has been used (Draino, etc) then avoid this remedy.  (I am not sure why it said to avoid this remedy but I assumed that there would be a horrible explosion, so I decided to not try this.)
  3. Use a "snake" to unclog the drain.
I believe the boiling water method would have worked if the clog was minor, but I was obviously dealing with a hot mess of a clog, so I decided to go with the snake method.

I went to the Ace Hardware (they recently opened a new one in Liberty Station, in the Point Loma area of San Diego. If you live in that area, go there. It is nice and they were extremely helpful) and looked for a "snake."  One of the Ace Hardware employees showed me how to use a snake and he also recommended an all natural drain de-clogger.  Apparently this stuff has enzymes that eat away at the food in the pipes or whatever.  The snake mechanism looked a little laborious, so I bought the $10 all natural de-clogger.

And it worked!  (I am not being paid to say this, but buy this stuff. )

 Super Digest-It Safe Drain Opener kicked Draino's ass.


P.S. The guy at Ace Hardware told me that products like Draino only break up hair in clogged sinks.  They do not have the capability to fight through grease or starch, which clogs most kitchen sinks. Who knew?  

1 comments:

  1. This couldn't have come at a better time. My boyfriend's drain needs a serious cleaning but I didn't want to spend the money on Draino. You have a very nice blog here.

    ReplyDelete

thank you so much for your comment! i read and enjoy each and every one :).

« »

Acute Designs All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger

 
Pin It button on image hover